It was built around 3rd and 4th century BC. It isIt is situated next to Gymnasium and Roman baths, creating an ideal place for a visit, as it concentrates many important places to one point. Roman Odeon, although it has been restored, its first 9 rows of seats are still the original marble ones. Some other parts, which are survived, are the floor, the wings, and the orchestra pit.It was used for fights between slaves, criminals, prisoners of war, and sometimes between them and wild animals. The building had been built on purpose to host music competitions but also was the seat of the Gerousia (Senate), a local authority. Nowadays it has been restored and it is an area of high tourism interest.
Show/hide POIs based on their type:All
Edition: June 2009
This is the first GIS map of Kos hence the island is mapped with a topographic precision in proportion to the map scale.
Marina Kos is located on the outskirts of Kos town; about 15 min walk from the town center, next to Kos old harbour. Marina Kos is easily accessible, only 26Km away, through Hippocrates International Airport (IATA: KGS) by charter flights from the major European cities.
Lake Psalidi is near Kos town and is a great destination for bird-watching, providing birds such as rare ducks and flamingoes. Some of the species, which could be found there, especially in the autumn, include Reddy Shelduck, Slender-billed Curlew, Long-legged Buzzard and Lesser Kestrel.
The Archaeological museum of Kos is located at Eleftherias square, in a neoclassical building, designed in 1935. Excavations brought to light findings by the beginning of the century, mainly from the archaeological site of the Market and also from monuments, such as, the Altar of Dionisos, the Odeon and the Roman Residence.